Monday, January 11, 2010

Trip to Southern Alberta 2008 - Kananaskis

In reality, today is January 11, 2010 and it is one of the wettest, most miserable days I can remember in a long, long time!  Right now I’d like to be anywhere but here!  But since I have a ‘yet to be retired’ husband, I guess the only way I’m going to get anywhere, is by looking back and re-living the past.

We have actually taken two trips to Southern Alberta in the last few years, the first of them was in 2006 I think, and I have since filed all the pictures all over the place and it would be impossible to reconstruct the trip.  Fortunately, I haven’t done the same with this lot.  This will however, be the last ‘trip blog’ I can do, at least until I get to head out again.

My husband had expectantly got the last week of August and the first week of September off, and since we had friends/neighbours who had been looking after one of the campgrounds in Kananaskis for the summer, and this was an area we had yet to visit, we decided to take advantage of the opportunity.

I imagine we did our usual, leave right after work to get on the road….if we did, I don’t remember where we spend the night.  The first picture record I have is at Yoho National Park where we stopped for lunch…

SJayYoho

which we shared with some rather friendly Steller’s Jays…

Test shots 003

That’s me attempting to get a picture….I think this guy was a youngster and not too sure yet!

Yohocamp1

We decided to spent the night at Yoho National Park.  This is a view from the campground.  This particular campground had just been newly re-opened the year before.  I can’t recall the name of it but it is the first campground you come to on the north side of the highway, after you enter the park from the west side (if that makes sense).  I believe that is Cathedral Mountain and the campground may have the same name but don’t quote me on that!  Never the less, it is a very nice little campground beside the Kicking Horse River…it even has some pull through sites.

Next morning we were on the road early, into and through Banff National Park, to the town of Canmore, Alberta.  Just past Canmore we turned south on secondary highway #40 and headed directly to Peter Lougheed Provincial Park and the Interlakes campground where our friends were holding us a campsite.

Test shots 022

and here we are.  How is that for a view!  Of course it helps to ‘know people’ – this had to be the nicest campsite in the entire campground, although many of them were situated on the lake shore as the campground ran right along it.

Interlakes2

this is looking a little more toward the shoreline.

Interlakes

Here is a look at the campsite itself.  Shantz is standing on the picnic table having a good ‘look see’.

Test shots 024

it has been quite late in the day when we’d reached this destination and we’d been invited to our friends for supper, but we sat and had a coffee and enjoyed this marvellous vista….and my husband says “all it needs is a little dusting of snow on the mountain tops” – this would become an example of ‘be careful what you wish for’ as you’ll see in the next part.

No comments:

Post a Comment