Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Back to the Dempster 2011 – Part 16

We would leave Dawson City that morning, after doing some shopping…and start heading south…

Gravel Lake

stopped at Gravel Lake for lunch.  I spent a futile 15 min. or so chasing a Common Yellowthroat through the bushes – I had been surprised to see them this far north…although after checking my ‘Sibleys’ I found that they do belong even further north during breeding season.

Moose at Gravel Lake

there were a pair of Moose at the far end of the lake – too bad they were so far away as these ones definitely had a good set of antlers…

Moose Creek Territorial Campground

Pulled into Moose Creek Campground in the early afternoon.  It was sunny and warm.  We had stopped at this campground on our trip in 2009 – at that time it was very beautiful with flowering lupines' and wild roses – but had also been very buggy.  No bugs this time.

Gray Jay

Gray Jays were here to greet us…

Moose Creek

we took a path that circled back and around…that would be ‘Moose Creek’ down there

Blackening Russela - I think

back in ‘mushroom’ country – I think these are ‘Blackening Russela’ growing among the bog cranberry

Blackening Russela and Bog Cranberries

 

here is a ground level shot…

Juvenile Swainson's Thrush

there were quite a few young Swainson’s Thrush in the campground..

Swainson's Thrush

I amused myself trying to get some decent pictures of them

Red Squirrel eating mushroom

Ernie went for a walk and found this Red Squirrel eating a mushroom…

Nikon 199

but his most exciting find was this White-tailed Ptarmigan….of course by the time he got back and told me about it and I got to the spot – it was long gone!

some fall colour

I had to be content with taking this picture behind our campsite.   

No comments:

Post a Comment